Ireland has never really been considered a popular winter destination, so the mere mention of it in relation to winter adventures might seem rather strange. But it does not mean that it is totally absent. Not totally discounting hitting the nearest pub as a worthwhile winter activity, here are five winter activities which sports minded individuals will be sure to enjoy in Ireland.
5. Bike Tour - Whether you are in Dublin or Belfast, for those who are less adventurous and would just like to engage in something less physically straining, city bike tours are a good choice. Almost every city in Ireland has tour groups that cater to cycling in general. You only need to hire a bike and the rest would be handled by your tour guide. Visiting up to 30 spots in a day, you’d never run out of photo opportunities, as well as benefiting from a good exercise.
4. Kayaking – If you can endure the cold, then you might survive riding a kayak down Killarney’s Lough Leane in Count Kerry. With 15 miles of raging rapids and joining the Laune river halfway through, this activity provides more than adrenaline rush thanks to the gorgeous views of mountains and hills in the background, as well as the various forms of wildlife which inhabit them.
3. Adventure Park – You can never go wrong with a place specifically built to be a large playground for thrill seekers. There exists such a venue called Todds Leap in Co Tyrone where you can indulge in many adrenaline rush inducing activities which include zip lining, off-road driving, paintball, and blindfold driving, among others. Winter or not, the fun does not seem to end here thanks to the wide variety of outdoor activities and parties that do not seem to end.
2. Winter Mountaineering – For those who love the mountains, it would be a relief to know that Ireland’s southwest remains to be a good venue for mountaineering even during the tough winter months. Various adventure travel agencies online offer competitive packages that include most of the basics, including skills training courses which would ensure that you’d reach the peak, and actually make it all the way back down. Count Kerry leads as the more popular choice in terms of breath-taking scenery.
1. Blokarting – This activity is some sort of yachting on land wherein the sail is attached to a cart with wheels, which means you’d seem to be go karting but substituting the engine with sails. This activity is usually done at the beach where the winds are strong. In Ireland, Benone Beach is the place to go to in order to enjoy this sport, regardless if you are an expert or just a beginner.
Winter sports travel insurance is a must if you intend to enjoy your holiday in Ireland and have some peace of mind at the same time. Accidents could happen anywhere, anytime. Having good winter sports travel insurance guarantees a smooth and enjoyable vacation for everyone, without the potential hassles.
I’m Julia and I’m very fond of travelling as well as photography. I`m very active and communicative person who adores making new friends around the globe. Being also a traveller writer, I’m trying to describe the most incredible travelling experiences in my stories.